CODE OF CONDUCT POLICIES
The Parade St Damians Junior Football Club is proud of its history and it’s contribution to the development of Australian Rules Football. The past 40+ years have witnessed significant achievements and created lifelong memories for thousands of people. To ensure that the Parade St Damians JFC continues to be part of the football landscape we need to be smarter about the way in which we preserve the traditions and values of the game and the club.
One of the most critical components of our club and game is the passion that people show for the Parade St Damians team which they support. Whilst this passion is usually harnessed and used to support our game, it can sometimes boil over to create negative situations. The aim of these policies is to ensure that we all work together in an attempt to eliminate this negative passion.
Code of conduct is an integral component of sporting activities and the following codes compliment the good work of Parade St Damians, Football Victoria and the YJFL over several years. The Parade St Damians JFC will adopt these specific codes and will be vigilant in enforcing the codes whether via support for those who constantly abide by the codes and/or harsh penalties for those who fail to act in accordance with the codes.
In cases where players, spectators or officials fail to abide by the code they may be subject to internal action by the Parade St Damians JFC Committee and/or if the matter is of a serious nature action by the YJFL or other bodies as deemed necessary.
As part of our commitment to these codes we will be expecting all players, coaches, parents and officials to sign and abide by them.
MANDATORY & ENFORCEABLE CODE OF CONDUCT FOR PLAYERS, PARENTS & SUPPORTERS
The Parade St Damians Junior Football Club fully supports the codes of conduct as introduced by the AFL, Football Victoria and the YJFL. In order to play football at Parade St Damians you will need to strictly abide by the following codes.
PLAYERS CODE OF CONDUCT
- Play by the rules – the rules of your club and laws of the game.
- Never argue with an umpire or other officials, without these people, you can’t play football.
- Control your temper – verbal abuse of officials and sledging other players doesn’t help you enjoy or win any games.
- Be a team player – It’s a great game, treat it that way.
- Treat all players as you would like to be treated – fairly.
- Cooperate with your coaches, the umpires and teammates.
- Play for your own enjoyment and to improve your skills.
- Don’t use ugly remarks based on race, religion, gender or ability – you’ll let down your coach, teammates and family if you do – and many such comments are actually now illegal.
PARENTS CODE OF CONDUCT
Perhaps the most important people when it comes to abiding by codes of conduct are the parents and supporters. They are the ones who set the example that the children will follow therefore the Parade St Damians JFC expect that parents and supporters will model good behaviour and abide by their code of conduct.
- Remember that you are there for the participants to enjoy the game.
- Encourage participation but do not force them.
- Teach that enjoyment is more than winning.
- Never ridicule mistakes or losses – supporters are there to support not downgrade.
- Lead by example and respect all players, coaches, umpires, and spectators – physical or verbal abuse will not be tolerated.
- Recognise all volunteers who are giving up their valuable time.
- Never publicly criticise umpires – raise personal concerns with club officials in private.
- Don’t use ugly remarks based on race, religion, gender or ability – you’ll let your family down and yourself if you do – and many such comments are actually illegal now.
By registering your child with the Parade St Damians JFC you agree to abide by these principles. You agree to support the Club in its undertakings and encourage the Club to take any necessary disciplinary actions including the suspension and banning where warranted of any players, parents or spectators for repeated or serious breaches of these Codes of Conduct.
COACHES CODE OF CONDUCT
Coaches are required to sign the AFL Code of Conduct as part of the Level 1 Accreditation requirement. All coaches must be accredited to coach in the Yarra Junior Football League. Coaches should be aware that in addition to signing the code when they complete their Level 1 AFL coaches accreditation they will also be required to sign a further Code of Conduct/Ethics with the Parade St Damians JFC. They follow these basic principles.
- I will respect the rights, dignity and worth of all individuals within the context of my involvement in Australian Football, including refraining from any discriminatory practices on the basis of race, religion, ethnic background, or special ability/disability.
- I will abide by and teach the AFL Laws of the Game and the Rules of the Parade St Damians JFC.
- I will be reasonable in the demands I make on the time commitments of the players in my care, having due consideration for their health and well being.
- I will refrain from any form of personal abuse or unnecessary physical contact with the players in my care.
- I will have due consideration for varying maturity and ability levels of my players when designing practice schedules, practice activities and involvement in competition.
- I will avoid overplaying the talented players aiming to maximize participation and enjoyment for all players regardless of ability. To this end I will abide by the Parade St Damians JFC playing policy.
- I will stress and monitor safety always.
- In recognizing the significance of injury and sickness. I will seek and follow the physician’s advice concerning the return of injured or ill players to training.
- I will endeavour to keep informed regarding sound principles of coaching and skill development and of factors relating to the welfare of my players.
- I will at all times display and teach appropriate sporting behavior, ensuring that players understand and practice fair play.
- I will display and foster respect for umpires, opponents, coaches, administrators, other officials, parents and spectators.
- I will ensure that players are involved in a positive environment where skill learning and development are priorities and are not overshadowed by a desire to win.
- I reject the use of performance enhancing substances in sport and will abide by the guidelines set forth in the AFL DRUG POLICY.
- I will attend and encourage players to attend all official club social functions, including Garvey Nights, Nights back at the rooms and any other functions as deemed necessary by the Club.
- I will Endeavour to rotate players positions during games to ensure that players are constantly involved.
- I will be responsible for all players until they are picked up by their parents after training.
- I will be responsible for any property that is issued to me by the club. I will return all club property including, playing kits, first aid kits and keys at the end of the season.
- In line with the Victorian Department of Justice Legislation I will submit to a Police Check to ensure the safety of the children who will be under my control.