Coaches are required to sign the AFL Code of Conduct as part of the Level 1 Accreditation requirement. All coaches must be accredited to coach in the Yarra Junior Football League. Coaches should be aware that in addition to signing the code when they complete their Level 1 AFL coach’s accreditation they will also be required to sign a further Code of Conduct/Ethics with the Parade/St Damians JFC. They follow these basic principles.
1. I will respect the rights, dignity and worth of all individuals within the context of my involvement in Australian Football, including refraining from any discriminatory practices on the basis of race, religion, ethnic background, or special ability/disability.
2. I will abide by and teach the AFL Laws of the Game and the Rules of the Parade/St Damians JFC.
3. I will be reasonable in the demands I make on the time commitments of the players in my care, having due consideration for their health and well being.
4. I will refrain from any form of personal abuse or unnecessary physical contact with the players in my care.
5. I will have due consideration for varying maturity and ability levels of my players when designing practice schedules, practice activities and involvement in competition.
6. I will avoid overplaying the talented players aiming to maximize participation and enjoyment for all players regardless of ability. To this end I will abide by the Parade/St Damians JFC playing policy.
7. I will stress and monitor safety always.
8. In recognizing the significance of injury and sickness. I will seek and follow the physician’s advice concerning the return of injured or ill players to training.
9. I will endeavour to keep informed regarding sound principles of coaching and skill development and of factors relating to the welfare of my players.
10. I will at all times display and teach appropriate sporting behaviour, ensuring that players understand and practice fair play.
11. I will display and foster respect for umpires, opponents, coaches, administrators, other officials, parents and spectators.
12. I will ensure that players are involved in a positive environment where skill learning and development are priorities and are not overshadowed by a desire to win.
13. I reject the use of performance enhancing substances in sport and will abide by the guidelines set forth in the AFL DRUG POLICY.
14. I will attend and encourage players to attend all official club social functions, including Garvey Nights, Nights back at the rooms and any other functions as deemed necessary by the Club.
15. I will Endeavour to rotate players positions during games to ensure that players are constantly involved.
16. I will be responsible for all players until they are picked up by their parents after training.
17. I will be responsible for any property that is issued to me by the club. I will return all club property including, playing kits, first aid kits and keys at the end of the season.
18. In line with the Victorian Department of Justice Legislation I will submit to a Police Check to ensure the safety of the children who will be under my control.